Sunday 6 November 2011

Pumpkin Soup

I think we picked the wrong recipe - it was not good!  My Milly tackled the pumpkin and cooked the soup,   with lovely homemade bread to go with it.   We didn't like it!  I don't think it can be rescued or turned into anything else, so the remainder of the pot of soup will end up in the bin.   Oh well you win some and lose some I suppose.

It has been one of those days today  - this morning I was overcharged £7.00 in the Haberdashery shop,  I was mentally calculating what I had spent and really couldn't work out how I had spent £23.00, I checked the receipt and still couldn't work it out,  so I returned to the shop queried the bill and a refund promptly given.  On to the supermarket,  and now that I can make pastry - woo hoo!!  I wanted a loose bottom flan tin - the price on the shelf £6.50,  it went through the till at £7.25 - so I joined the queue at customer services and another refund given, this was double the difference so £1.50 was refunded.

Tonight the pumpkin soup was not good and to top the day off - I realised that one of the blankets I was making was no longer rectangular as it should be and was definitely narrowing at one end.  How very very annoying is that.   To be honest I had realised this 2 days ago and have spent the last couple of days trying to work out how I could rescue it - but here really was nothing to be done.  As the blanket has so many colours it would be impossible to unpick it,  so the only solution - work out where the narrowing had started and cut that bit off!!  I'm pretty gutted really as it has taken a couple of weeks to get to this point and I did think it would be finished this week - now it is about half the size it was and another couple of weeks work to be done.

I think I can salvage the cut piece and am working on a plan to use it in a different way - I'll let you know if that works out!.

Fortunately all was well at the Lottie today,  and I was delighted that the grass seed I had sown 2 weeks ago has sprouted and a previously muddy path now has a lovely spattering of green-ness on it.  It was a bit of a gamble sowing the seeds so late in the year and these particular seeds haven't given a good result when sown earlier in the year - but the gamble paid off and grass is growing, so that was a bit of a bonus today.


New grass being lovingly guarded by Lottie!

I picked up some Jerusalem Artichokes from Freecycle today - these will be planted in the spring.  I'm not sure yet what to do with them once they have grown - but if you don't try these things how do you know  what they will be like.   The only one little worry I have with them - they are nick- named Fartichokes!

Peculiar looking Jerusalem Artichokes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x