Saturday 10 March 2012

Spring is in the Air

Sometimes I feel that I send myself loopy with reading different ways to do things/plant things/sow things.   Try Googling 'Sewing leeks' and you will see what I mean.  To stop this loopy-iness I have now decided to read a few 'how-tos' and then do what feels right.  Fingers crossed my decisions are the right ones and then wait and see what happens.

Anyway spring is in the air - the days are becoming longer and mostly a little warmer,  daffodils are out and on the plot and few bits and pieces are coming to life.  The autumn planted raspberries are beginning to grow some new canes,   the rhubarb I thought I had lost is now poking its head about the soil and the newly planted garlics now have a couple of inches of green growth on them.

At home the list is;-

Potatoes chitting in the shed
Leeks sown in cat litter trays in the plastic greenhouse
Sweet peas in pots in the greenhouse with a few new ones on a windowsill indoors.
Sungold tomatoes seeds sown - indoors
Alpine strawberries sown and germinated  - indoors
Chillis sown - indoors
Peppers sown - indoors
Melon sown - Indoors
Aubergines Sown - indoors
Gardeners Delight Tomatoes sown - indoors

At the Lottie
Brussell Sprouts - Polytunnel
Cabbage - Polytunnel
Calabrese - Polytunnel
Carrots - Polytunnel and direct sowing
Radish - Polytunnel
Little Gem Lettace - Polytunnel
Red Onion sets - Planted
White Onion Sets - Planted
Garlic - Planted
Shallots - Planted

Well that is quite a list isn't it!  I still have loads of seeds to be sown, and although it is tempting to be starting things off,  I have already learnt the hard way that too early is just no good,  so I am going to wait as long as possible before starting things off.

Today it has been lovely bright, warm and sunny.  The Portuguese Housekeeper came with me to the Lottie,  we took a little feast as it is hungry work and energy food is definately needed!



We spent about and hour and a half doing the dreaded digging and for me today that was quite enough!  Then we decided to tackle the greenhouse frame - and what a saga that turned out to be!   We did manage to put the frame together and I have to say we were pretty pleased with ourselves that the 2 of us girlies managed to complete it on our own without any male assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x