Thursday 19 May 2011

Baby Steps

Baby steps at No. 95 today.  My Girl and me set off with our thorn resistant gloves,  secateurs and loppers.  I realised 2 minutes into the drive that My Girl was wearing flip-flops - really not ideal but she insisted they would be Ok - Hmmmmm!!

Parked at the gates and had a gentle meander through the plots to No.95.  Stuart was at No 96,  gave us a quick demo on how to use the water pump (the secret is in the priming apparently!)- a good  job he showed us as My Girl couldn't get it to work on Monday,  we are such newbies!!  LOL!

So we stood and stared at the massive job in front of us - oh blimey, where do we start!  We started at the back of the plot - there is some logic,  clear some space at the back,  then all the bits we find (pallets, rubbish bags, lightbulbs! - why are they lightbulbs on an allotment?) can all be put in the space at the back to clear the way at the front for serious clearing and digging and eventually planting - looking forward to the last bit!

20 minutes into the work,  My Girl did the little girl thing of "I want a drink",  15 minutes later  "Mum, I'm really thirsty",  10 minutes later,  "mum I REALLY need a drink and my flip flops are full of thorns".  So back home we went - a quick change into much more sensible welly boots,  a very large drink and back to No.95 we went.

Did another hour of cutting, pulling and chopping and we definately haven't made a dent more of a tiny scratch on the surface - but it is a start.   I think the flip flops will have to be binned it would be like walking on a bed of nails!  I'm off  now to nurse my wounds and make cakes for My Boys birthday tomorrow.  x


The Scratch
The Scratches

1 comment:

  1. Flip Flops! why am I not surprised! love your war wounds. X

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x