Tuesday 12 June 2012

Would you believe it is nearly the middle of June and for the last 2 days I have put the heating on for a couple of hours a day - completely unheard of for this time of year!  Mr Milly hasn't been too impressed, but that is one of the downfalls of working from home - I sit in a little room all day on my own and I do tend to get cold easily.   The weather forecast is rain, rain and more rain.

I'm not sure how things are going to work out at the Lottie this year,  I'm not holding out any great hopes of bountiful harvests and think I will just have to be grateful for anything!   We have picked a few strawberries here and there as they are very slowly ripening - enough for a little bowl for me and Mr Milly.    Radishes too have been doing OK  with a handful coming home with me every now and again.  
Today's radishes

And after all of this time, the Greenhouse is very nearly completed.   I dug over the whole of it at the weekend, cleared all of the weeds and laid some paving slabs for the pathway.   I have deliberated for months now on how to glaze the missing panels and finally decided to go with Polycarbonate.   I was just reluctant to be spending any money on it and was hoping a cheap option would be found.   But as time is now moving on I bit the bullet and ordered some cheapo poly from Amazon,  this is due for delivery tomorrow.   It wasn't terribly expensive for the 10 sheets and as the greenhouse came from Freecyle and to date has cost absolutely nothing - I did feel justified on spending the few pounds on the polycarbonate.   My boy has offered to help with any cutting that needs doing and hopefully by the weekend I can finally, after 5 months, plant something in it!

Greenhouse laid out ready for planting

A very wet looking herb garden next to the greenhouse
The little greenhouse in the garden is full to overflowing with all sorts of bits and pieces,  it has been really useful this year bringing the seedlings on and now it is at full production and planted with tomatoes, peppers, chillies and aubergines.  The other pots are all waiting to be moved to the lottie Greenhouse and some  to go out into the big wide world.   If it ever stops raining I might be able to plant them!

Planted grow-bags and lottie ready plants

Full to overflowing


the tubs at the bottom are planted salad leaves for home,
 3 pots planted 3 weeks apart for a succession of salad leaves



2 comments:

  1. Your right about it being cold. We snuggled up under a blanket watching tv last night.

    Gosh you have got some amazing plants ready in your green house. Shame the weather is so wet.

    We've been lucky ratting our own strawberries, salad, radishes and mangetout . Everything seems ok on our allotment but I would like a few sunny/dry days to help it along.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment - your blog is great! I had forgotten the blankets, I have had mine out a few nights recently too, complete madness at this time of year!! Your lottie looks good and I'm very envious of your fruit cage!

    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x