Tuesday 3 January 2012

Gifts

For Christmas this year I was really lucky with my gifts from  the lovely Mr Milly,    one gift I did know about was my new sewing machine.......   I love it!  I have had mine for 25 years and although going strong it was really showing its age and behaving like an old lady.  This one will be kept for Mr Girl at her request.

The new one is all singing and dancing,  I think it has something like 225 stitches,  automatic button holes,  clip on presser feet - no more fiddling with a tiny screwdriver to change the feet AND an automatic needle threader - this is brilliant, especially as my eyes struggle now with threading a needle - that is my age according  to my optician (he really cheered me up that day!! LOL).

So here it is the new well loved machine.......



And what does a new machine need?  Well a new cover of course....  brilliant practice on the machine,  a bit of quilting, some patchwork and then some applique - me and Mr Milly worked on this one together as the maths and angles is just not my thing and his number crunching was really needed.   Mr Milly also arranged the patchwork,  I did try to get him to cut out the 42,  2 inch squares but he was having none of that!


I think Mr Milly is worried that I don't have enough to do and occupy me - and after watching Kirstie Allsopp' Homemade Home he gave me a needle felting kit for Christmas.

The kit looks like this;-


Book, wool, needle tools, felting mat..

I have been having a play  with the needles and wool and after puncturing my fingers on numerous occassions - the needles are barbed, triangular and incredibly sharp,  my index finger and thumb looks like  pincushions!  I think I am starting to get the hang of it  - and learning to keep my fingers out of the way!  Very briefly - you get some wool,  place it on a brush/sponge and stab it multiple times with a needle to mat it and sculpt into whatever you are creating.   Brilliant therapy after a hard day at work!

My first couple of efforts - with some more to follow in the next couple of days.


Gnome Garden - 20p to give an idea of the scale

Learnt today - A collection of ladybirds is ' A loveliness of Ladybirds' - how cute is that!!

1 comment:

  1. I do believe it ia Friday now and you havent updated your blog yet! You need to keep me posted! x

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x