Friday 25 May 2012

Hello Weekend!

Star has had her final check-up at the vets today,  they were very pleased with her and she doesn't need to go again! Woohoo!

Millie is doing very well for a little new puppy in her brand new forever home.   My sister-in-law is worrying about her like a new baby!   But she is such a good little thing,  even in the first couple of days she is going to the door to be let out to do her business,  amazing really in such a short space of time,  the boys of course are loving her and no doubt will have a lot of fun with her in the years to come.

My week has been dull, dull, dull....   I was away Wednesday and Thursday and came home to almost frazzled seedlings in the little plastic greenhouse in the garden,  I think I have managed to save most of them, but did loose some of the salad leaves - not too great a disaster as I have 2 other pots on the go.  We use a lot of salad leaves during the summer, but it does bolt and go to seed quickly.  I am hoping that by having a few big pots, sown at 3-4 weekly intervals this should keep us going all summer and should help with the bolting problems.

Anyway - after the near disaster at home I was worried about the newly planted beans, squash and courgettes at the Lottie - they do need a fair bit of water when newly planted, so I decided a quick watering trip to the Lottie was needed.  It was 8.15pm before I left home and really wasn't that bothered about going after a full day at work and then a 100  mile drive home - but I have been growing bits and pieces since February and didn't want to loose them at the very first hurdle!  I needn't have worried though - one of my kind Lottie neighbours had watered them for me - isn't that  lovely and thoughtful!  I suspect it was Barney - he knows I work away a couple of days a week and is a very frequent visitor to my plot - I think he is teaching me quietly as he passes on bits and pieces of information, knowledge and little tips frequently, he was one of the first allotment holders at our site and has had his Lottie for about 20 years.   We have now fallen into a bit of a pattern and whenever I make coffee at the Lottie and Barney is around I make one for him too - he pops over to my plot and we sit at the table, natter and drink coffee!   I have no doubt that he would have spotted the new planting on the lottie and watered for me!     An extra special coffee is in order this weekend!

As usual the list of jobs to do this weekend is much longer that the hours available - but the number one priority is weeding - they are growing extremely well at the moment.  Next on the list is to net the strawberries and blueberries - I would be extremely unhappy if the birds got them before me!  Lots more planned and lots of pictures to come over the weekend hopefully!

I hope you have a lovely weekend!
Alison x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x