Wednesday 30 May 2012

Highs and lows

I have been in Bristol for the last couple of days and it has had it moments of highs and lows!

Firstly the lows;-  I stayed in a different Hotel this time around,  the office has moved from one side of the city to the other - it   seemed to make sense to stay in a hotel nearer to the office and not have to do the cross city drive in the morning.   As you know from previous posts I stay almost weekly in a hotel and it is tiresome.   Well this one was certainly different!  The first room I was put in was dirty - yuk, yuk and more yuk, I definately wasn't going to be sleeping in this one for the night.   Reception soon sorted me another room and fortunately this one was clean.  And that is about its only virtue!

From the window I could see a car park and that was it,  the bed and pillows were like sleeping on a brick,   I could hear the air conditioning unit, toilet flushing and mobile phone ringing in rooms around me,  I made a cup of tea -  2 tea bags were needed to get a decent colour,  running cold water smelt of stagnant water,  the air con unit in my room didn't work properly,  the bathroom was a drop in modular affair that was like a porta-cabin -generally it was not a good experience.  My Milly's comments when I showed him the photos was 'it looks like a squat'!   What do you think??

Soulless and uninviting room.

At first glance this looks like a Fridge Door

Hiding behind the fridge door was the even more uninviting
plastic bathroom
I was up, showered, dressed and in the office by 7.45 this morning - a terrible night's sleep and I couldn't wait to get out!  I'll put that night down to experience and will be seeking a different hotel for my next visit.

The Highs - Bristol is a fascinating City,  it is lively, buzzy and interesting.  Generally I don't like Cities, but this one I do like.   I had company for dinner, we sat alongside the water at Harbourside, had our meal and watched the world go by.

From my seat

Looking out across the water this suddenly appeared;

It peacefully drifted across the harbour and over the buildings
Then another appeared from a different direction;-

And drifted away

Then another one

And another - closely followed by yet another one.
You can just make our the moon high in the clear blue sky
I was like a little child in a sweet shop and just didn't know where to look next and if any more would appear.  Living very close to a major airport this is something we never ever see and I was beside myself.  It just seemed very fitting for the setting and the beautiful late spring evening,  how lovely to drift over the water and the city.    Steph thought I was really funny - but of course living in Bristol she is used to seeing the hot air balloons,  whereas for me it is giant aeroplanes that fill my sky.  Give me Hot air balloons any day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x