Tuesday 13 September 2011

Onions

A little while ago I started a new bed at the lottie,  it started as just the next bit to be cleared and dug over I then covered it in landscape fabric to stop the weeds growing, from yesterday it has now become an onion and garlic bed.    I ordered the onion sets  and garlic bulbs online,  this is a really good way to purchase them as its cheaper and also the online shops don't send out the items until it is the right time of the year for them to be planted.  I've ordered raspberry and gooseberry bushes,  both of these will be sent out from late October.  I like this - it helps to plan what needs to be planted when and also I know I am planting at the right time.

The onion bed has lovely straight lines,  2 lines of red onions,  2 lines of white onions and 2 lines of garlic.  Fingers crossed everything comes up nicely!




A lovely little harvest from the lottie today and a gift left by one of my allotment neighbours - cucumbers!  They are supposed to be difficult to grow, but Clive seems to have done really well with his and 7 of them came home with me.  Now I knew they were cucumbers, but Mr Milly wasn't convinced - they look so different from shop bought ones - the taste is much better too!




I tried the pears in red wine again today - took a deep breath and was much more gentle and patient with the cooking.  The result is 5 lovely little jars of fruit and wine  - each jar the perfect size for 2 people.  The kitchen smelt lovely all afternoon - mulled wine!  I realised with the first batch that I ended up jam as I boiled too hard and too long - Mr Milly wasn't impressed with pears in jam for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x