Friday 2 September 2011

Cooking

I have sometime off from work and I am doing the cooking.   It's not often that I cook a meal -  it's just the way our lives are arranged as Mr Milly is the househusband and cooks the meals.    So I have been taking stock of what tools and foods we have around us and how can we do things differently.  A few reasons for this,  the first is money - can we save a bit?  The second - as there is just the 2 of us to cook for now can we do things differently?  The third  - we have the Lottie now and want to use it to its full potential.  And finally we have lots of gadgets in the kitchen, I am a bit of a gadget lover - I don't think we really use them enough.

One of the bonuses of Google - there is an abundance of recipes and information at your fingers tips.  This week we have had a Steak and Mushroom pudding.  I love these types of puddings, but the hours of steaming and having to watch the pan really put me off.   But I discovered this week you can use a slow cooker to steam these puds -brilliant!  Make the pud - stick it in the slow cooker and forget it and no steam in the kitchen.   In fact there was so little steam I was sure it wasn;t going to work!!  It did and the result was lovely - the one pud was enough for 2 of us for 2 days - so very little cost.   Today there is a chicken in the slow cooker - dinner today and a pie tomorrow!

The bread machine has been out too - I'm trying some different recipes to see what comes out and some different flours and yeasts to see if cheaper ingredients make an acceptable loaf.  Mr Milly is usually the occasional bread maker in the house and he sticks strictly to the instructions and the recipes.  I'm not quite so strict and the results so far have been good and different.

The Lottie is managing itself nicely at the min,  the cauliflowers are looking a little loose which is not good for caulis - we will see how they end up.   Everything else is coming along fine and everyday something is different which is fascinating to see.    


Sunflowers are getting tall

The pumpkin is just starting to turn orange.


Teeny little butternut squashes are starting to appear


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x