Sunday 11 September 2011

Writers Block

I think that is what happened to me this week,  just had nothing to say! 

This week I've been preparing for winter,  thinking about Christmas,  trying to save money here and there and generally trying to re-evaluate life!

The preparations for winter are underway.   Our hallway is always very cold during the winter months which of course affects all rooms in the house and the result is the heating thermostat is turning up a degree or two to compensate.   A new curtain rail has been installed over the front door and kitchen door,  curtain fabric and thermal linings purchased and tonight hemming  of the hall curtain to be completed and then it can be hung - no more drafts whistling through the letterbox,  through the keyhole or around the door.   Hopefully this will help to keep the heating bills down this winter.   The kitchen is the same - cold in the winter with an ill fitting door,  that curtain is the next on the list.

My next door neighbour has a lovely conference pear tree in the front garden and no-one in their house likes pears - so they are mine for the picking,   So far I have used them in mixed fruit jam,  mixed fruit chutney,  a few have been frozen and a few more are now in jars - pears in brandy syrup - a decadent dessert for us during the cold winter months.   I've now found a recipe for pears in spiced red wine, I tried it yesterday but boiled the pears for too long and too hard and it was more like pears in jam syrup!  I'll try again and be more patient and more gentle this time and hopefully it will be good and will join the brandy filled jars in the cupboard.

Have to leave them for a couple of weeks to soak in the brandy -
that's is going to be tough to do!
We have been thinking of getting a second small freezer for the shed as ours is now rapidly filling up - once again my favorite Freecycle came up trumps with a little table top freezer being offered.  I was lucky enough to get it and collected it from a lovely couple.  It is just what we wanted!  It's a little battered on the outside as it has been in their garage as a spare - but it works and as a spare for us it is just perfect!  

Not a very exciting picture - but I am really pleased with my little find!
I've now finished the 2nd Blooming Flower cushion, - this one is a gift and its huge!  It has taken a while to complete,  I'm really happy with it and I think the recipient will be too!


Round and round and round and round..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x