Saturday 11 February 2012

A phone call

I'm not going to start with the phone call,  first a little Lottie update - It is cold and everything is frozen solid!

This morning the Lottie looked like this;-



I did try to hammer in the tall poles for the bean frame - the Portuguese Housekeeper was with me this morning and she was laughing at me as the pole really is too tall to hammer in without standing on something!!  I won't be defeated though and soon found something  to stand on!


After a few minutes of hammering with the pole only going into the ground by about 2 inches - I gave up!
Reluctant as I was, I did admit defeat today and knew that really there wasn't really very much I was going to be able to do.   I pottered in the shed for a while and put up the numbers on both sheds - they look great!  The clock now has a battery in it and is ticking away nicely.   Some new hooks have been hung in the metal shed and there is a new addition in the window of the green shed - can you see??

Apart from the numbers there is nothing attractive about this shed........
  I might have to do something about that!
I really needed some kind of path along the length of the plot - the long term plan in for grass but until that can be sown there is little structure to the plot and it is muddy!  Yesterday I was on a mission to make a path - I had seen something on another Blog that I liked and thought would work,  with Mr Milly laid up for the time being any construction work is down to me.   I have spent many many years working alongside Mr Milly as a 'builders mate' watching him, fetching and carrying and having a go now and again, so I did feel reasonable confident that I could muddle through, do things my own way and maybe achieve something.

I started with a pallet, my goodness they are incredible difficult to split down into usable pieces of wood,   so I found a different route!   I wanted slats about 40cm long,   with saw to the ready  I cut each of the slats off the pallet,  next my sister-in-law had given me the slats from the base of a single bed which has been replaced,  these were easier to saw.   Finally the wooden slats were laid in a line,  weed suppressant fabric stapled to the back and hey presto - a roll up path!  I'm quite chuffed with it and I have to say a little pleased with myself too!!


Anyway - lets go back to the phone call.   This weekend on my beloved Freecyle an item came up that I was really interested in,   my email was sent and I waited, and waited and waited.  Eventually an email was received

Hi Alison,

Well I have offered it to someone, but if they don't reply or don't want it, I'll let you know. It belonged to the old lady I bought my new house from, and she was a keen gardener who'd lived here since 1948... so I'm sure she'd like it to go to a good home where it was going to be useful.

I was disappointed, but not really surprised.  I politely replied to the email to thank the lady for letting me know and to confirm that I was still interested if anything changed - I sent her my telephone numbers - just in case!    This morning she phoned, the other people had not replied to her emails and looked like they were no longer interested - did I still want the item......  YES PLEASE was the reply.   I couldn't collect today,  you will see why, but was able to go and see it and take some pictures.

Here it is...........................


A 6ft x 8ft Greenhouse - Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!  How exciting is that!!

  Well that's enough for today - I'm off to have a little glass of wine to celebrate and try and calm by brain which is now in overdrive trying to work out a zillion different things starting with......  how am I going to collect it!!

Alison x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x