Saturday 20 August 2011

Busy Hands

Today we are expecting visitors,  My  Dear Father-in-Law  and his wife are visiting from the Isle of Wight,  we haven't seen them for a little while and we are all looking forward to the visit.  I think we will be having a bit of a houseful for the day as friends and family pop in to say hello.

Carrot cake was made yesterday and this morning a lemon cake will be going in the oven.  Carrot cake takes a while to make and bake,  the lemon cake is incredibly quick and easy,  but both are really tasty and everyone seems to enjoy them!!

I found the recipe for the carrot cake here Aunt Mary's Carrot Cake,   And if you fancy having a go - here is the recipe;-


Ingredients

Serves: 12
  • 275g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
  • 4 eggs
  • 400g caster sugar
  • 350ml vegetable oil
  • 375g grated carrots
  • 125g chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 200g sultanas (optional)
Preparation method
Prep:30  mins | Cook:45  mins
  1. Preheat the oven to 160 C / gas 3. Lightly grease and flour a 20cm cake tin.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
  3. In a large mixing bowl cream together eggs and sugar. Add oil.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients and blend together well. Add carrots, walnuts and sultanas.
  5. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes. Check after the first 35 minutes, to see if a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If not, continue to cook, checking every 5 minutes. (I find this will take at least 1 hour to cook)
  6. Top with a cream cheese icing and enjoy
Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients for the topping

  • 200g (7oz) Full Fat cream cheese
  • 56g (2oz) softened unsalted butter
  • 56g (2oz) sifted icing sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

For the topping, mix cream cheese, softened unsalted butter, sifted icing sugar and vanilla essence, until smooth. Allow the cake to cool and then add the topping.  It is important to use full fat cream cheese - anything else and the icing will be runny, the full fat version makes a thicker icing.  This cake will keep for a few days in an airtight container. That is, if you can resist it that long!

I have had my crochet hooks out this week.  My Girl will be going away next week and some new hats are required.  I found the most amazing wool with sparkly bits running through it,  the hat is made and out in the sunlight it sparkles!

Whilst visiting Blogland yesterday I came across this Blooming Flower Cushion,  I really did want to have a go,  I rummaged through my wool stash to find the colours I wanted to use and made a start.   It has grown quicker than I thought it would,  so I think it will be finished in a day or two!  It is supposed to be for My Girl's bedroom, but I have a feeling it will end up in her suitcase as she packs next week!

2 comments:

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x