Saturday 11 June 2011

Bourton on the Water

The day started beautifully this morning, the sun was shining at 7.30  and not a cloud in the sky.  We all met for breakfast and then headed out for the day.

Mr Milly enjoying the morning newspaper.
We travelled to Bourton on the Water and what a pretty place that is.  We arrived at 10.00 so it was quite quiet,  My sister-in-law likes all the little nick-knack shops so we visited quite a few!  I was very pleased with myself as today in the middle of June I bought my first Christmas present - that really does have to be a record!

We stopped for coffee,  wandered about for a little while,  visited the model village (probably the worst one I've ever been to!)  stopped for a beer and wandered back towards the car - just in the nick of time as the heavens opened and it poured!   It was good timing for us really as we were thinking of leaving at that time so we headed off. 

Bourton on the Water is about 25 minutes from the hotel,  on the way back we decided to find somewhere for lunch,  we travelled past the hotel for about 10 miles - nothing, turned around and headed to a pub mid way to Bourton on the Water, by this point we were all hungry.  On the way we joked about the pub probably not serving food mid afternoon,  My Bro said they probably would be having a private function,  ha ha we said and  eventually we arrived.  All now really hungry and been in the car for about an hour were ready to eat.  Got to the door and was told - main restaurant was closed for a Private function AND the smaller restaurant had stopped doing food for the afternoon  aargh!

We turned around and headed in another direction and another pub - not serving food at lunchtime,  we headed for another - closed for the day (On a Saturday!), phoned another and asked about food - sorry no food on a Saturday...  What kind of time warp place  is this and by now we are starving, been in the car for nearly 2.5 hours and I think I had driven about 60 miles!!!

I think I was a little fed up.......  so decided to head back towards the hotel and rethink - then spotted a sign for Tunnel Inn - food served all day!!  Yippee we were on a winner,  and what a brilliant little place,  tucked away at the end of a tree lined lane with horses grazing along the side,  a Traditional little pub, lovely menu,  pretty beer garden overlooking rolling hills and a band playing in the garden - idyllic  and possibly worth the very long 2.5 hour drive to get there.    We put the sat nav on to return to the hotel and we were 10 minutes away!!  Possibly the biggest circle in history to get lunch!
Bourton on the Water

Coffee in the sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It would be great if you would leave me a comment from time to time. Blogger doesn't always tell me who you are, It would be lovely if you put your name on your comment!
Thanks Alison x